Thursday, August 1, 2013

Soft Summer Storm

Hola!
My name is Eric Sanders. I'm was asked to share my experiences today and how we have come to be in San Jose, Costa Rica! First off I will tell you a little about me and my lack of experience today. Today was the first time I have ever been out of the country. In fact, today was the first time I have ever been on a plane. So naturally you could say I have a fear of flying. Julia was kind enough to hold my hand during take off. When she forced my white knuckled hand to the arm rest, I realized... flying is really cool! We got to gaze out at the horizon as the sun slowly crept up through the dense morning fog. Our 6am plane landed in Chicago in just over an hour. The last time I went to Chicago we drove 4 hours and took a 3 hour train. This was incredible for me! Our next flight left Chicago, we crossed the country in 2 hours and touched down in Houston, Texas. We had a short break for lunch and then it was off to San Jose, Costa Rica. The flight to Costa Rica was so beautiful. The white fluffy clouds seemed to hang aimlessly in the sky. But, just when the day seemed to be going so well, we started our descent into some dark clouds. We descended through the middle of a soft summer storm. The plane sliced through the rain. Then, all of a sudden a bolt of lightning zipped across the sky. At first, I shared the same emotion as everyone on the flight. However, I feel the lighting bolt was just God demonstrating his great power and control. And I knew that His hand is watching over us.  We are now safely settled at the AMCA House and eagerly awaiting our morning run in Costa Rica tomorrow.
 
 
 (I am the one in the middle)

-Eric
 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Julia, it's Auntie Arlene, you look so athletic, and pretty at the same time. Looks like you 3 are happy and having a good time. Please keep us posted. When do you guys start the work for the families? Well, keep safe and keep having fun!!

    With much love,

    Aunt Arlene Chin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We started all the work today, read all about it on the newest blog :) love you!

      Delete
  2. Hi Eric, Juilia and the other Friend,

    I'm Julia's Aunt Arlene and I want to compliment you on your article and your bravery. You wrote beautifully and so illustratively, I truly enjoyed reading it and glad you were asked to write about the intro to your trip as a team. The picture is also breath taking. And secondly, so proud of your humility and honesty in your expression of your fears about your new experience "flying", and hearing your openness, I know God has already granted you safely and security while on your trip. Keep up the good work everyone and keep on helping those in need!! Praying for you all to be protected and to do God's work with joy!! Here's a scripture I hope will comfort the whole Asbury U Eagles Team: Psalm 4: 8 - "I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety."Here's a little explanation of this scripture. In the NIV study bible the meaning of "I will lie down and sleep" is cross-referenced with Psalm 3:5 - "I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the Lord sustains me." and in peace means without anxiety. Hope this gives you peace and safety.

    Take Care and Have Fun!!

    Arlene Chin

    ReplyDelete